This Italian-inspired twist on guacamole may just be the talk of the party. Make the chips in advance and combine all the guacamole ingredients except for the avocado several hours ahead. Just before serving, it takes less than 5 minutes to mash the avocados and serve the dish.
- Tortilla Chips:
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 12 corn tortillas, cut into 8 wedges each
- 3 ripe Hass avocados, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 1/4 cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Combine the Parmesan cheese and salt in a medium bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add 12 tortilla wedges and cook, turning once, until crisp and lightly golden, about 3-3 1/2 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with paper towels and drain briefly. Add to the cheese mixture, toss well to coat and transfer to a serving bowl. Repeat with remaining tortilla wedges.
- Place the avocado in a bowl and mash with a fork until fairly smooth. Add the onion, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, lemon juice, salt and pepper flakes; mix well. Serve with the tortilla chips.