Start your meal with this flavorful soup, or serve it for lunch with a grilled cheese sandwich or an apple-mixed green salad.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large sweet onions , thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar , packed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- sour cream , if desired, to taste
- fresh sage leaves , if desired
- In 5-quart Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onions in butter 15 to 20 minutes until very soft and beginning to brown; stir in brown sugar and vinegar. Continue cooking 5 to 10 minutes longer until onions are golden brown. Stir in remaining ingredients except sour cream and fresh sage. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. With immersion blender*, puree soup until smooth. Ladle into bowls; garnish with sour cream and fresh sage.