This is where it all begins—the basis for chocolate treats like Marshmallow Swirl Ice Cream, Hot Chocolate and Hot Chocolate Sauce. Make a batch and bottle it for holiday gifts—but be sure to set some aside for you!
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Combine the granulated sugar, brown sugar and corn syrup in a medium Anolon® saucepan with 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, stirring, until the sugar dissolves then whisk in the cocoa powder, chocolate and salt. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and cool. Mixture will thicken slightly as it cools.