This sophisticated yet easy appetizer is a great party offering. Whether gluten-free or calorie conscious, these flavor-packed Endive Spears with Sautéed Sweet Potatoes and Bacon will not disappoint!
- 2-3 large heads of red or white endive
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 10 slices bacon
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons snipped chives
- salt and pepper to taste
- crème fraiche or sour cream for topping
- Peel your sweet potatoes. Cut sweet potatoes into small cubes. Slice them lengthwise about 1/4 inch thick. Then, slice them again into strips (think julienne). Chop/dice the strips into small cubes.
- Chop or use kitchen scissors to cut your bacon into small pieces, place in a large frying pan and cook over medium high heat until fat is rendered and they are on their way to crisping up. Add the sweet potatoes and sauté, stirring often, for about 8 minutes or until they are cooked through, adding in the sugar, salt and pepper halfway through.
- If your bacon yields little grease you may need to add a small amount of grapeseed oil, olive oil, or bacon grease if you happen to keep that in your fridge.
- Add in the snipped chives and cook for another minute.
- Gently separate the endive leaves into individual leaves, cutting the core a bit as you progress through the endive.
- Spoon mixture into each endive spear, top with a little crème fraiche or sour cream, top with a few snipped chives and serve warm or at room temperature.