Vibrant colors; salty, sweet and creamy flavors; all go to make every bite of this appetizer feel both special and simple at the same time! Gravlax is a sugar and salt cured salmon often with dill and spices, more subtle in texture and flavor that smoked salmon, but you could easily substitute for either.
- 2 beets (about 3/4 cup grated)
- 1 teaspoon fennel or mustard seeds, or a mixture
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Crème fraiche (or sour cream)
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- Wasabi tobiko, optional
- 6 slices gravlax or smoked salmon
- Peel and shred the beet.
- Heat a non stick pan over medium heat and dry fry the seeds for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Remove from heat, add the vinegar and sugar and stir to combine. Pour over the beet and allow to marinate for 1/2 hour or overnight – it will keep a few days covered in the refrigerator.
- Combine the Crème Fraiche, yogurt and dill and stir until smooth.
- Place the beet relish in a small dish or on crackers, top with the salmon and spoon over the Dill Crème. If using, spoon over a little wasabi tobiko, or some chopped chives.