This meatless meal is hearty and satisfying, thanks to a harmonious blend of flavors and textures. The creamy yolk of the poached egg dresses the earthy lentils and rice, while caramelized onions add just a hint of sweet to the meal.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 4 large eggs
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, cumin, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened and golden, about 20 minutes. Transfer the onions to a bowl and wipe out the skillet.
- Meanwhile, combine the lentils and 2 cups of water in a large nonstick saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the lentils are tender but not quite cooked through, 15 minutes. Stir in the rice, 2 cups water, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and half of the onions. Increase the heat to medium, bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium low and cook until the liquid has been absorbed and the lentils and rice are cooked through, 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill the skillet with water and bring to barely a simmer over medium-low heat. Add the eggs one at a time and cook until the whites are set and the egg yolks are creamy, 3 1/2-4 minutes.
- Divide the lentil mixture among 4 serving bowls and top each with an egg and one-fourth of the remaining onions. Serve immediately.