Enjoy a taste of warmer seasons with this rich and fruity dessert that is also great for afternoon or morning tea. The passionfruit adds a lovely tang, but you could easily use pineapple or peaches instead. Delicious with whipped cream or ice cream!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened, plus more for coating baking dish
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 large or 1 small ripe banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mango chunks
- 2 passion fruit, (or 2 tablespoons passion fruit puree, such as Perfect Puree)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch (2 quart) baking dish.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and the 3/4 cup of the sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana and vanilla, and beat until just combined.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, all spice and salt. Fold the flour mixture into the butter mixture, just until incorporated. Fold in mango and passionfruit. (If using the puree, fold through last so it is a swirl through the cake.)
- Spoon batter into prepared dish and smooth over top. In a small bowl, mix together remaining sugar, cinnamon, and almonds. Sprinkle mixture over top. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a metal skewer inserted in center comes out clean and topping is golden. Let cool 20 minutes before serving.