The crust for this savory pizza is grilled on both sides: this allows it to cook through and get just enough char without burning. The crispy crust is the perfect vehicle for a topping of savory lamb cooked with aromatic spices and finished with a sprinkling of feta and sumac.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup warm water, (100°F-110°F)
- 1 (.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 ounces ground lamb
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon sumac, divided
- Make the dough: Combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Combine the water, yeast, oil and sugar in a measuring cup and let stand until frothy, about 5 minutes. Add the yeast mixture to the flour and stir until a ragged dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth and not sticky, about 5-6 minutes. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and let stand in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1-1 1/2 hours.
- For the topping, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium. Add the lamb and cook, breaking it into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until it is no longer pink, 3-4 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until the onion begins to soften, 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, honey, paprika, cumin, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Press the dough down and divided it half. Cover one piece with plastic wrap and set aside. On a lightly floured surface roll the dough out into a 10 1/2-inch square. Heat an Anolon Accolade Grill Pan over medium until very hot. Add the dough to the pan and cook 2 minutes brushing the top half of the dough with 1 teaspoon of the oil. Carefully flip the dough over, brush the top with 1 teaspoon of the oil and cook 2 minutes. Flip the dough again and cook 2 minutes. Turn the dough over one last time and cook 1 minute. Spread the top evenly with 1/2 of the lamb mixture and half of the feta cheese; cook 2 minutes. Slide the pizza onto a cutting board and sprinkle the top with half of the scallions, parsley and sumac. Repeat with the remaining dough and ingredients. Cut into wedges to serve.