There is no other dinner roll quite like the beloved Parker House roll: it is soft and mildly sweet, with a tender, flaky texture and luxurious melt-in-your mouth consistency. Make them even more of a cause for celebration with the sage-honey butter.
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (.75-ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus additional for kneading
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Softened butter, to grease pan
- Sage-Honey Butter:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the rolls, heat the milk in a small Anolon saucepan over medium heat until lukewarm (100-110°F). Whisk in the sugar until dissolved then add the butter and yeast; let stand until frothy, about 5 minutes. Whisk one of the eggs into the milk mixture. Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Pour the milk mixture into the flour and stir until a soft dough forms. Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth but still slightly sticky, about 4-5 minutes. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat then cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Lightly grease an Anolon Vesta Cast Iron 12-inch skillet with softened butter. Deflate the dough by pressing down with your hands. Divide the dough into 24-26 pieces each about 1 1/2 ounces. Form each piece of dough into a ball then arrange them in a single layer in the prepared skillet; cover with plastic wrap and let rise until the rolls fill the pan, about 30-35 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Beat the remaining egg in a bowl. Gently brush the tops of the rolls with some of the beaten egg. Bake in the center of the oven until the tops of the rolls are golden, 19-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
- For the butter, combine the butter, honey, sage and salt in a bowl and stir until well combined. Serve with rolls.