These easy-to-prepare gnocchi come together in just minutes and offer the satisfaction of something that took all day to prepare. Browed butter and crispy fried basil up the flavor factor without any added fuss and turn this Italian staple into a gourmet meal.
- 1 pound whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated, divided
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- In a bowl, combine ricotta, eggs, salt, flour, and ½ cup of Parmesan cheese and gently mix to form a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and separate into 4 portions. Roll each portion into about a ½ – 3/4-inch round log and cut into 1-inch rectangles. Place cut gnocchi on a heavily floured baking sheet until ready to cook.
- Bring 8 quarts of water to a boil. Salt the water. Working in batches, gently place gnocchi into the water and cook until they float to the top. Drain and set aside.
- In a Anolon Advanced Casserole, heat butter over medium-high heat until melted and it starts to look foamy. Add basil and continue to cook the butter, stirring constantly, until it is golden brown in color – about a minute more. Remove from heat. Add gnocchi to the browned butter, toss, and serve immediately with grated Parmesan cheese.