This is the hearty pasta dish that everyone loves to eat. It gets its stick-to-your-bones, deep, rich flavor from the ground beef cooked in red wine and double hit of tomatoes.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano , chopped
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes with basil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium zucchini , trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 12 ounces rigatoni pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Heat the oil in an Anolon 12" Vesta Cast Iron Skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and oregano and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the beef and garlic and cook, breaking the beef into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until the onion and beef are lightly browned, 9 to 10 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and cook until it is nearly evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and zucchini: bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until slightly thickened, 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rigatoni, salt, pepper, and 3 cups water; bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until sauce is somewhat thickened, about 18 minutes. Add 1 cup water and continue cooking until the pasta is tender, 9 to 10 minutes more.
- Serve the rigatoni topped with the Romano and basil.