Forget the oven—you can make this homemade-from-scratch skillet pizza right on the stove, and all in one pan. (Can you say: “easy cleanup”?) The key to the nice, crisp crust is flipping it once before you add the toppings.
- 2/3 cup warm water , 100°F-110°F
- 1 .25 ounce packet active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, shredded
- 12-16 fresh basil leaves
- For the dough combine the water, yeast, oil and sugar in a small bowl and let stand until frothy, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Pour the yeast mixture into the flour and stir until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-6 minutes. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Punch the dough down and divide in half.
- While the dough rises heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in an Anolon Tri-Ply Clad 12.75-inch Nonstick French Skillet over medium-high. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and dried basil; cook 30 seconds. Stir in the bell pepper and salt and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes; remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl. Wipe out the skillet.
- On a floured surface roll out one half of the dough into a circle that is about 11-inches in diameter. Repeat with the second half of the dough, making sure that the counter is well floured so that it doesn’t stick. Heat 1 teaspoon of the remaining oil in the skillet over medium-high. Transfer one dough circle to the skillet and cook until bubbles begin to form on the surface and the underside begins to brown in spots 1-1 1/2 minutes. Flip the crust over and immediately top with 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese and half of the onion mixture. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium and cook until the cheese melts and the bottom of the pizza is golden brown, 4-5 minutes longer. Transfer to a cutting board, top with the basil and let cool slightly before slicing. Repeat with remaining oil, dough and topping.